Ph.Deborah

      staving off final year insanity with procrastination...

Saturday 18 October 2008

Birthday Beginnings

Writing this just as the clock ticks over to midnight, so I guess I'm officially 31. Started my birthday an hour early by buying the Observer at 11pm outside Leicester Square tube. I never quite get over how that's possible :)

The Indelicates were great! Thanks to Mike for introducing me to them. Too short a set sadly, but they played all my favourites from the album, plus an excellent new song 'David Koresh, Superstar' from their new album, which they claim will be a concept album about Waco... if anyone lets them make it. Ha. The support acts were not so good - Carolyn and I showed our age by declaring them far too loud and hiding in Starbucks until it was almost time for the Indelicates. Not really in keeping with the spirit of the Metro club... but I'm too old for this shit sometimes.

Jenny Lewis was quite incredible last night. Her vocal sounded amazing and the performance was actually more country than the new album would have led me to believe. Many of her songs sound like standards already. I think she's going to be around for a very long time. Gwyllym enjoyed it too, which was good, as I took him for a birthday present.

All in all, an excellent double bill.

Low-key birthday tomorrow. Hopefully will involve seeing Andy Murray win the Madrid Masters. And cheese. For me that is, not Andy Murray. I'm sure he's not allowed to have cheese before a final :)

4 comments:

Mike said...

Hooray, you saw The Indelicates. I keep missing them when they've returned to Manchester, much to my regret. Jenny Lewis on Monday for me - first of four gigs next week.

Happy birthday, by the way! :)

Deborah said...

yes I did! And I wanted that t shirt you told me about... but there was no merch - boo! if you know where to get one from, tell me!

Me... said...

happy birthday twinkle - have a special & appropriate greeting from Aimee Mann...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QVqBJ8DdsGA

Tour Mistress Of The Darkness said...

A day late and a pound short ... but happy birthday!!! :)