Ph.Deborah

      staving off final year insanity with procrastination...

Sunday 1 June 2008

varsity blues

Alice and I drove down to Oxford yesterday to give the Varsity squad some practice before their match in  few weeks. We played sets against four of their pairs, and considered ourselves in our own private Varsity match, as we both went to Cambridge. We lost two sets 6-2, 6-1 but won two 6-1, 6-0, so at the end, the result was that Cambridge won by one game! Hee. It was fun though. Good to get some practice in against strong players too.

Wimbledon draw at the Hartswood this afternoon so will see if I can snaffle any more tickets. Fingers crossed. Am watching the French Open at the minute - would love to see Federer win it, it's the only Grand Slam left that still eludes him.

Went out with Stan on Friday night to see Jenny Eclair at the Bloomsbury. I have to say that she was absolutely awful. The biggest load of anti-feminist negativity about women and aging I have ever heard, I think. Just cliche after cliche about how men are always up for sex but women don't want it, or how she was so fat now (she's a size 12) - and I think describing yourself in ways that might fit a 90 year old when you're actually 48 is just ridiculous. I was expecting her to be all edgy and feminist and funky, but NO. 

Might see the Sex and the City movie today... at least that will be exactly what I expect... terrible as that may be :)

No comments: