Ph.Deborah

      staving off final year insanity with procrastination...

Wednesday 11 June 2008

Woe is me

Waa waa waa... all the way home

I was supposed to be eating fine food and drinking fine wine last night at high table at St John's College, Oxford with some friends of mine. James and I set off in plenty of time on the bike (evening wear stashed in top box) so that we could do a little Blackwells-browsing before getting changed for dinner at 7. Not to be. About 20 minutes into our drive, the bike broke down and could not be persuaded otherwise. The AA said they'd be there within the hour and would take us to our destination, so I was still quite hopeful of getting there in time for dinner. However, two and a half hours later - the time we were supposed to be sitting down for dinner - we were still at the roadside. Finally, we were picked up in a truck by a man who I'm sorry to say fit every bigoted asshat stereotype you might associate with the job. Sigh. I was so miserable by then, I didn't even bother to respond. Got home and had takeaway Chinese... quite the comedown. By then I was also having trouble breathing, which I thought was to do with having sat at the side of the road amidst a whole heap of grasses and polleny beasts for three hours - but sadly, a day later this still hasn't worn off. Feeling really quite ill. We were supposed to see Laura Marling tonight in St James' church, Piccadilly, but I just couldn't face it. And I really like her! Two disappointments in two nights! Really, really hoping to feel better soon. I can't afford to get sick again - I've got SO much work to do. And I refuse to miss the fun on Friday, when Alice and I are going to Queens for quarter final day. Fingers crossed, one and all...

3 comments:

Me... said...

I had my car broken into while I was in Manchester for the Isobell Campbell and Mark Lanegan gig. They stole my work laptop and Margo the SatNav, which were locked in the boot. Taken objectively it nothing that cant be replaced but it's the sheer bloody ball ache of having to do so.

Deborah said...

ugh... that sucks. On a finer note, is/was your satnav named Margo after one of the available voices? I ask because Alice's satnav is called Richard...

Me... said...

no - I just called it Margo as it sounded like a suitable name for some posh woman bossing me about ;)