Ph.Deborah

      staving off final year insanity with procrastination...

Wednesday 12 August 2009

Edinburgh Day Four

Sorry for the tardiness... too much fun, too little time. Now I'm on the train on the way back, I can catch up properly. So, day 4:

We had nothing scheduled until Rachael and Seth at 8pm (and two shows afterwards) so tried to have a quiet morning. Slept in different rooms, thank God, so I did actually get some sleep. Plus, my mother was more than happy to sleep in the living room as there was a giant spider in the bedroom. Took me ages to get that spider into the right place :)

We did a bit of shopping and wandering before heading back to the apartment to rest and prepare for our late night. One of us was prepared and didn't sleep through anything...the other, not so much. We went to the Dazzle exhibition at the Traverse Theatre and had lunch there as well. I liked it, but the baby wasn't sure. Very busy day for the baby all round, as she barely seemed to stop kicking or spinning around, or whatever it is she does in there. I imagine a hamster wheel...

Rachael and Seth were excellent again. Baby cemented her angsty preferences by kicking especially at 'The Trouble With People' and 'Naia' for Seth, and 'What If' and 'Hit Song' for Rachael. We couldn't hang around afterwards, as we had to head quickly to Cowgate for Geraldine Quinn at the Underbelly. She's an Aussie performer who did a sort of comedy rock opera called 'Hex and the City'. But it didn't hang together too well. She didn't carry the bits in between the songs confidently, and the basic premise (that she would be burned as a witch for having ginger hair) didn't really work. Unfortunate, as there were some funny lines in the song, and I felt that with a bit more work, the show could have been decent. Ah well...

From there, we walked to the Stand to see Daniel Kitson's midnight show, which my mother managed to sleep through a large portion of. Such a shame, as it was probably my favourite show of the festival. It was definitely a little rough around the edges, but as he said in jest himself - even a half-assed Daniel Kitson is way better than pretty much anyone else at full power. The show was about death, among other things, and managed to be amazingly touching with its specificity. There aren't many comedy shows that can touch me emotionally in the same way that a song or a book can, but this show did just that. And of course, he's extremely funny. I was gutted afterwards that I hadn't booked for his play as well - which was, of course, sold out by then.

Stumbled home and fell into bed. Allowed my mother back into the bedroom on the grounds of sympathy and assertions that she was feeling clearer of head. Mistake, as I woke up several times, convinced Darth Vader was in the room...

No comments: