Ph.Deborah

      staving off final year insanity with procrastination...

Saturday 8 August 2009

Edinburgh Day One

First I must apologise for being stupid enough to have left my camera lead behind, so I will have to update photos when I get back - unless I start taking them on my iphone instead.

Anyway... the train journey yesterday was fine, although I expected a little more from my first-class experience...like maybe only about six people in the carriage. But no, it was fairly rammed, and I had to share my table with a couple of old people who refused to stop talking for the entire journey. I wouldn't have minded if they were interesting, but it was the worst sort of inanity, sadly. I moved to a solo seat to get away from it and plug my laptop in - until my mother arrived at Darlington, and we had to join them. She of course, broke the three hour silence I had been carefully maintaining by ENGAGING WITH THEM (why why WHY would you do this?!) so then naturally they thought it was open season for the rest of the journey... oh your first grandchild? how exciting. we have four million of our own. the nice thing is you can give them back. Etc etc.

Some beautiful coastline eased the pain between Darlington and Edinburgh Waverley, but all in all, I was pleased to arrive and take a cab to our apartment, in Canonmills. Apartment is nice - bedroom with two single beds, big-ish living room/dining room and little kitchen and bathroom. Went out to get some provisions from Tescos and then I made us a big bacon, avocado and feta salad for lunch with some nice toasted seeds and baby vine tomatoes. My mother's shopping on the other hand, consisted of ridiculous items such as 'bananitos'. No, I never heard of them either. Look it up. Ludicrous.

Town is about a 15 minute walk away, past some cool looking shops and cafes, to be checked out at some point. Bt by then we were keen to get to our first venue - Underbelly in Cowgate, so we pressed on. I say 'pressed on' but let's just say it wasn't the heavily pregnant chick bringing up the rear...

So - first show - Gerry Howell. The Guardian had promised "a young Eddie Izzard" and they were sort of right. Right in terms of presentation, randomness, and doing bits of the show in French. Not right in terms of it being very funny though, unfortunately. It had its moments - the logistics of sending a cat flap to Hawaii, and the passive-aggressive snake queue in the Post Office (don't ask on either count) made me chuckle, but not the most auspicious start to the festival, all in all. Impressive delivery though, I have to say.

Found an old pub near to our next destination and decided to get the whole haggis, neeps and tatties situation out of the way early on. I thought it was nice, but my mother was less impressed. Still, any time I eat meat and DON'T throw up is a bonus for me, so I can see how we might not be starting with the same parameters...

Next we made our way to City Edinburgh, located in Sportsters Bar and Grill (yes, the name tells you everything you need to know), on Market Street. Immediately ran into the wonderful and unflappable Meredith (two qualities invaluable to a tour manager I suspect, given that artists are, by nature eminently flappable). Anyway, it was fab to see her again after so long - not since the amazing Southern food in NYC when we were on honeymoon - and to finally be at the show. Audience was sadly tiny - can't have been more than about 7 of us for the first night - it's my biggest point of confusion at Rachael's shows, the ratio of talent to recognition. I really hope there are more on the other nights.

Seth Glier opened the show and was fabulous. I had requested 'Naia' (on Facebook) before leaving London, and I loved it live even more than on the album. He followed it up with a storming cover of MJ's 'Man In The Mirror' (videos not from the show but still awesome), and my second-favourite from his album, 'Someone Else To Crown'. Really great set, and my mother was also extremely impressed. It's Seth's first time out of North America, and he's only 20, so there's an enthusiasm and excitement about him that you can tell is infusing the whole crew. Plus he is adorable and you can't help but immediately warm to him.

Rachael's 'Sequins and Shpiel' set was also impressive - as always. I had made my mother a Rachael mix as homework for before we left, and her top three songs from it were: 'Slow Down' (see, it's a genetic favourite!!), 'My Word' and 'Lonely Streets'. Rachael played 'Lonely Streets' tonight, so hopefully there's plenty of time for the others to make an appearance. The new songs were good too. I'm not sure of titles: one I'm going to guess is called 'Rich Girl', and the other - with lots of sequins and glitter lyrics - I'm not sure. I was happy to hear 'Sistersong' and so was the baby, if the kicking was anything to go by (though I suppose that can go one of two ways)

After the show, we headed back to Cowgate to see Abi Roberts at the Underbelly. We were both pretty tired by that point, but Abi kept us awake with her impressions of a whole range of singers from Aretha Franklin to Susan Boyle. She was really pretty good, and she must have been delighted that there was a hen party in attendance, as they were only too happy to join in and make the show even more rambunctious.

It was nearly midnight when it finished, and we weren't able to get a cab or find a bus anywhere, so we had to walk back to the apartment, which took about 45 minutes. Sleep came quickly, I can assure you :)

11am now, which means I've had a pretty relaxing morning, and am just about ready to think about doing it all over again. More tomorrow!





No comments: