Ph.Deborah

      staving off final year insanity with procrastination...

Wednesday 20 February 2008

Can Starbucks save my PhD?

As my PhD and assorted side projects have been grinding to a halt over the last few months, I've been getting more and more desperate to find some way to get some good and productive work done. Having tried various combinations of caffeine, sugar, exercise, and sleep (deprivation), I have stumbled across something that allows me to get at least two hours of decent work done. 7am Starbucks! Controversial I know... for someone who does not like getting up early, and feels that Starbucks is perhaps not somewhere that she should frequent as often as she does (big corporation, not supporting independents etc). But the coffee is yummy, the sofas are comfortable, the music is sometimes good (the other day they played the whole of the new Sia album, although this morning I had to contend with big band swing pap - as I believe the genre should be described), and most importantly, IT WORKS. Lack of internet helps, as does the shock to my system at being anywhere at 7am. I've actually been reasonably productive on this regime this week, and this morning I finally gave in and put £30 on a Starbucks card as a sign of my new commitment (to work, not corporate whoredom) :)

No comments: