Ph.Deborah

      staving off final year insanity with procrastination...

Monday 7 January 2008

Monday muscles

ahh...how I ache. Played squash with James on Saturday morning, which was a lot of fun but very tiring. I still can't quite get my head around the fact that both players are on the same side of the 'net', or that it's not tennis in general. I have a drop shot that kind of works, but my serve bites, and I can't return serve from the left hand side well at all. Still, I do enjoy it, so hopefully practice will make me better. Went down to the Hartswood yesterday to play some tennis before lunch and got embroiled in quite a difficult set. My partner and I did come back from 1-3 down to win 6-4, but I definitely over-stretched to make a few good shots. A little walk last night just about finished me off, and today I don't intend to leave the house!

Got some feedback from my editor about that chapter, and it looks like things may not be as bad as they could be, so I'm hoping that the revisions will only take me a day or two. I want to do a good job on it, because I have the feeling it might follow me around... but it's got nothing to do with my actual PhD, and as such, the amount of time I spend on it should reflect that.

Not too much happening this week, luckily. Official PhD stuff doesn't start again until next Monday, so I have a week to get my head down and try and finish a few things off. On Thursday, the Virgin Media people are supposed to arrive and give me better internet, but given their incompetence of the last week (including them apparently telling BT we are changing our phone line - aargh), I'm not holding my breath.

Andrew is coming to stay on Wednesday night and I think we're going to see Ben's band, the Jay Scott Project, play a gig in Hammersmith. Should be fun.

No comments: