Ph.Deborah

      staving off final year insanity with procrastination...

Thursday 24 January 2008

Tennis frenzy

Well, there's a lot to report since I last posted, and most of it is tennis-related. As I write, I'm watching the incredible Australian Open semi-final between Nadal and Tsonga. We saw Tsonga win the tiny Surbiton tournament last year, and marked him out then as one to watch. He's currently 2 sets to love up against Nadal, and has just broken him in the third, AMAZING.

On a slightly smaller scale, Alice and I played an LTA ratings singles tournament on Sunday. Despite being the oldest people there (I was twice as old as most people... so Alice was positively ancestral), we pulled out a pretty good showing, both losing one match and winning one. I was delighted with the match I won - I played really hard to beat a 15 year old (who I later saw crying!! I felt terrible!), and came through some tough points to win 6-1, 6-3. I got absolutely spanked by a rising star next, 6-0, 6-1, but I really enjoyed playing her, and despite the scoreline, probably played some of my best tennis against her. Anyway, Alice and I both really enjoyed the day and we'll definitely do some more.

The next day, I was playing doubles on a much smaller scale for the morning league. It was pretty frustrating at first (later I would describe this as watching monkeys discover fire), but by the time we were in our last match (in the pissing rain), I quite enjoyed it. Charlotte and I discovered how to play with each other, and our end scores were 7-6, 1-6, (10-4) in the first match, and a more decisive 6-3, 6-1 in the second.

Today is the first day I've woken up since and not ached, so it stands to reason that I have a match this evening for the Hartswood winter league. Back to the comfort zone of doubles with Alice this time, so it should be a fun match. And of course, we get fed afterwards which is a big plus (depending on what it is of course).

Tsonga serving for the match right now!!! and he WINS! 6-2, 6-3, 6-2. No one's beaten Nadal like that, not even Federer. Very much looking forward to the final now.

Back to non-tennis news:

The flats were finally finished yesterday, and we had a champagne reception for everyone who helped, and for the estate agents who will be selling them last night. Everyone seemed really impressed, so hopefully that will translate to quick sales :)

Tomorrow night is Burns night, and never having been to one before, I figured it was about time. So James, Dan, Rachel, Brandon and I are taking ourselves to the nice pub on Strand on the Green for haggis, neeps and tatties - whatever that all is, and maybe a drunken Burns recitation. Sounds like fun anyway.

Nothing to report on my PhD this week as it's pretty much all been taken up with my alternative careers of tennis playing and property developing. Ha. That's all got to change next week, as I've got some serious work to do before leaving for NZ at the end of Feb. My camera arrived so I'm learning how to use it before we leave too.

Oh, and lastly, my friend Jill has introduced me to a new singer called SoKo, who may be the cutest thing ever. Download her song I'll Kill Her here :) Thanks Jill!



No comments: